|Home time period||Jurassic period|
|Creature type||Swimming Theropod Dinosaur|
|Deaths caused|| Neal|
|Appearances||Episode 5.2 (only appearance)|
The Swimming Theropod is able to swim through seas to a limited extent, enough to move between islands. But they can't swim fast, and when in the seas, they are open to attack by larger creatures such as Pliosaurs.
The Swimming Theropod is physically very similar to the unknown Raptor species commonly encountered by the ARC, but it is all-black. Unlike the mentioned Raptor species, the Swimming Theropod also appears to possess lower intelligence, a more primitive set of vocalisations, and a lack of protofeathers.
While swimming in an ocean, a Swimming Theropod was sucked through an Anomaly into the North Sea in the Present. It landed atop a nearby Nuclear Submarine, and the unconscious Theropod was taken into the submarine by the crew. When the ARC team came aboard, Abby Maitland had Sam Leonard put the unconscious Theropod in the submarine's freezer.
The Swimming Theropod later awoke and escaped the freezer, killing Neal and Shaw and stalking the submarine's corridors. Abby and Connor Temple encountered the Theropod in the corridors, and it attacked them. However, Connor was able to knock the creature out by sending an electric current through a puddle that the Theropod ran through. The Theropod was subsequently locked in the submarine's torpedo bay, and was jettisoned out into the Jurassic seas as bait for the Pliosaurs. In the waters, the Theropod was almost immediately devoured and killed by a Pliosaur.
- The Swimming Theropod's death scene is a reference to a scene in Walking With Dinosaurs, where a Liopluerodon plucks a fishing Eustreptospondylus from the shore.
- Tim Haines said that a two-clawed, swimming, black raptor would appear in "programme ten" (Episode 5.3). The only creature that appeared in that episode was the Raptor commonly encountered by the ARC team. He is believed to have been referring to the creature in Episode 5.2.
- Watch's official series summary stated that a Eustreptospondylus would appear in Episode 5.2, though when the previews were released, it strongly resembled a black Raptor, rather than a Eustreptospondylus.
- It's highly unlikely that the Swimming Theropod could have survived the water pressure when it was pumped out of the submarine, as the creature's lungs should have imploded and killed the creature.
- It is unlikely that a real-life creature could be black and have red eyes at the same time. This mutation only naturally occurs in albino animals.
Behind the ScenesEdit
|Series 5 Main Creatures|