|Episodes|| Episode 5.1|
|Broadcast||24 May, 2011 - 28 June, 2011|
|Preceded by||Series 4|
|Followed by||Primeval: New World|
Series 5 of Primeval, also known as Primeval V, is the fifth series of the original British Primeval television programme. Series 5 focuses primarily on Philip Burton's plans for the Anomalies and New Dawn, and on Matt Anderson's mission to stop New Dawn from destroying the future and how Connor and Abby's opposing allegiances affect their relationship.
Matt's secret mission to find the ARC member that will destroy the future continues, as does Philip's New Dawn project for the Anomalies. After Abby learns of Matt's mission, the latter recruits her into it, while Connor instead joins Philip in the New Dawn project. Connor and Abby's opposing allegiances in turn strains their relationship more and more.
Matt and Abby's fears that New Dawn is what will destroy the future are soon confirmed, and after Connor realises his error, he and the rest of the ARC team join Matt and Abby against Philip as the latter activates New Dawn. Although Philip successfully activates New Dawn, the team manage to stop New Dawn and save the future. However, Matt then sees a double of him at the ARC which gives him a warning.
|Serial number||Overall number||Director||Writer(s)||Airdate|
|1||31||Mark Everest||Chris Lang||24 May, 2011|
|The team attempt to track a giant, underground insectoid predator from the future, and there is something about the creature that Matt isn't telling the team. Meanwhile, Philip shows Connor the true purpose behind New Dawn, and Abby becomes more suspicious of Matt and grows closer to discovering his secret, while Lester struggles at the ARC to make a good impression to Ms. Reece of the Cabinet Office for a knighthood.|
|2||32||Robert Quinn||Steve Bailie||31 May, 2011|
|When a Navy submarine in the North Sea discovers a giant underwater Anomaly, Matt, Connor and Abby join the Navy crew aboard, but things go awry when the submarine is pulled through the Anomaly into a prehistoric sea inhabited by giant pliosaurs. The team subsequently attempt to get the submarine back through the Anomaly to their time, while Lester struggles to stop an Admiral from nuking the Anomaly and potentially altering history.|
|3||33||Robert Quinn||Paul Mousley|
|7 June, 2011|
|When the team send a Raptor at an art museum back through the wrong Anomaly, Matt goes through into Victorian London in pursuit of the Raptor, and there he reunites with Emily and attempts to help her escape her grim fate of incarceration at Bedlam Asylum by her shallow husband. Meanwhile, Abby infiltrates Connor's lab to capture Connor's files on New Dawn for Matt.|
|4||34||Robert Quinn||Helen Raynor||14 June, 2011|
|The team learn the truth about New Dawn when Connor creates an artificial Anomaly in the ARC, and trouble soon erupts when the Anomaly unleashes swarming, carnivorous beetles from the future into the ARC, which trigger the lockdown but threaten to burrow out and swarm onto the modern world. The situation is only exacerbated when the beetles trigger Jess' deadly allergy to insect bites, and when Philip threatens to incinerate the entire ARC to stop the beetles.|
|5||35||Cilla Ware||Michael A. Walker||21 June, 2011|
|With Convergence having finally arrived, while Becker and the entire ARC struggle to contain an increasing outbreak of numerous Anomalies and creatures, New Dawn begins to power up for its final phase, as the team struggle to stop Philip from activating New Dawn before it's too late.|
|6||36||Cilla Ware||Steve Bailie|
|28 June, 2011|
|Matt and Abby go through New Dawn's Anomaly on a rescue mission for Connor into the barren, Predator-ruled wastelands of the future, while back in the present, the future apocalypse looms closer as New Dawn spirals out of control. Meanwhile, Jess and Lester face problems of their own when the ARC is invaded by Mutated Future Predators.|
Cast and charactersEdit
Main cast and charactersEdit
- Ciarán McMenamin as Matt Anderson
- Andrew-Lee Potts as Connor Temple
- Hannah Spearritt as Abby Maitland
- Ben Mansfield as Hilary Becker
- Ruth Kearney as Jess Parker
- Ben Miller as James Lester
- Alexander Siddig as Philip Burton
- Janice Byrne as April Leonard
- Ruth Bradley as Emily Merchant
Guest cast and charactersEdit
- Lucy Vigne Walsh as Reece
- Patrick Murray as Anthony
- Tony Kelly as Shaw
- Allen Leech as Sam Leonard
- Bosco Hogan as Marston
- Stephen Hogan as Henry Merchant
- Ciarán McMenamin as Second Matt Anderson
- Giant Burrowing Insect - Episode 5.1
- Liopleurodon - Episode 5.2
- Swimming Theropod - Episode 5.2
- Raptor - Episode 5.3
- Future Beetle - Episode 5.4
- Coelurosauravus (Rex) - Episode 5.4
- Tyrannosaurus Rex - Episode 5.5
- Columbian Mammoth - Episode 5.5 (stock footage)
- Kaprosuchus - Episode 5.5
- Anurognathus - Episode 5.5
- Tree Creeper - Episode 5.5
- Mutated Future Predator - Episode 5.6
Series 5 of Primeval received generally mixed - positive reviews and reception, with some critics praising the solid character development, plot and story arc and the action and creatures featured.
- Hannah Spearritt stated that a Thrinaxodon would appear in Series 5, but this apparently did not happen.
- The Pliosaurs from Episode 5.2 were originally seen in a Series 4 script shown by Adrian Hodges in an interview, before the cancellation and revival of Primeval.
- Tim Haines stated that the Balaur would appear in Episode 5.3, but it is now believed that he was actually referring to the Swimming Theropod in Episode 5.2.
- Before Series 4 even aired, a Primeval fan posted fan-made episode plots on the web which were falsely claimed to be leaked canon plots.
- After Series 4 finished on ITV1, many fans began to speculate that Philip Burton would create the Future Predators, and some that he would mutate Connor Temple into one. This was proven completely false.
- There were numerous other rumours involving Connor, including rumours that he would die in Series 5 (some of these rumours that Philip would shoot him), and rumours that he would leave Abby Maitland for a relationship with April. These were confirmed to be false.
- After the rumours surrounding Episode 4.7 of a creature incursion within the ARC and the creatures in the Menagerie becoming involved in a huge battle were proved false, rumours began that this would happen in Series 5 and that this would mark the return of Sid and Nancy.
Behind the scenesEdit
- See full article: Watch's Series 5 Promotions