| Primeval Series 4 Intro(00:33)|
|Episodes|| Episode 4.1|
|Broadcast||1 January, 2011 - 5 February, 2011|
|Preceded by||Series 3|
|Followed by||Series 5|
Series 4 of Primeval is the fourth series of the original British Primeval television programme. Series 4 focuses primarily on the changes to the ARC in Connor and Abby's absence, Connor and Abby's changing relationship, and Matt Anderson's mysterious past and mission.
After a year marooned in the Cretaceous, Connor and Abby finally return to the present to find that the ARC has greatly changed in their absence, and is now funded by entrepreneur Philip Burton and led by the quiet and mysterious Matt Anderson. Connor and Abby are initially not allowed back on the main team due to a new military code, but soon manage to get back on, though they still have to try and earn their old positions on the team back.
When two Anomaly travellers (the Victorian lady Emily Merchant and the murderous Ethan Dobrowski) come to the present, Matt takes Emily in, and begins to open up to her on his past and who he really is, while hunting Ethan and trying to protect Emily from him. Meanwhile, Connor becomes more and more allied with Philip and the latter's mysterious New Dawn project for the Anomalies, and Connor and Abby's relationship begins to become strained because of this.
Eventually, Danny Quinn returns from the past as well, and Ethan is revealed to be Danny's long-lost brother Patrick. Both Danny and Ethan/Patrick return to the past, and Emily returns to her time as well; but not before Matt reveals to her that he is from the future and has been sent back to stop an apocalyptic disaster with the Anomalies in the present from destroying the planet. Meanwhile, Connor learns of a catastrophic upcoming event with the Anomalies, and ultimately allies with Philip and New Dawn against it.
|Serial number||Overall number||Director||Writer(s)||Airdate|
|1||24||Mark Everest||Paul Mousley||1 January, 2011|
|A year after becoming marooned in the past, Connor and Abby return from the Cretaceous to a changed and upgraded ARC, but Connor accidentally brings a Spinosaurus back to the present with them.|
|2||25||Mark Everest||Steve Bailie||2 January, 2011|
|While Connor and Abby try to earn their old positions on the team back, Connor reunites with his old friend Duncan, who leads Connor to a series of homeless killings at a dock area that the team discover are the work of an elusive and deadly Kaprosuchus.|
|3||26||Cilla Ware||Debbie Oates||8 January, 2011|
|When an Anomaly opens at a theatre, a group of mysterious Anomaly travellers come through, followed by fast and deadly Tree Creepers. Meanwhile, Connor helps Philip design a new security system for the ARC, but it goes horribly awry and sends the ARC into lockdown, and time is running out for Connor to free Rex and Philip before the system suffocates them.|
|4||27||Cilla Ware||Paul Gerstenberger||15 January, 2011|
|Matt, Connor and Becker investigate an Anomaly at a secondary school and struggle to save the remaining students from deadly, venomous Therocephalians. Meanwhile, Philip decides to have the ARC's captive creatures including Rex euthanized, prompting Abby to try and smuggle them to safety before it's too late.|
|5||28||Robert Quinn||Adrian Hodges|
|22 January, 2011|
|The team go to investigate a flunctuating Anomaly signal at a seaside village, and Matt and Abby struggle to contain a fast and deadly Labyrinthodont's rampage while Connor tries to uncover the secret behind the fluncuating Anomaly signal. Meanwhile, Emily has been captured by Ethan, and Matt attempts to track and save her before it's too late.|
|6||29||Robert Quinn||Matthew Parkhill||29 January, 2011|
|The team investigate an Anomaly incursion at a rural manor house, and reunite with Jenny and discover that the manor is the location for her wedding in the morning; forcing the team to contain a pack of Hyaenodon while ensuring Jenny's soon-to-be-husband doesn't find out. Meanwhile, Jess and Becker are caught in Ethan's deadly trap.|
|7||30||Mark Everest||Paul Mousley||5 February, 2011|
|The team head to an old prison, where they discover an Anomaly that won't lock and is producing satellite Anomalies throughout the prison, which in turn makes it even harder for the team to track a Terror Bird loose in the prison. At the same time, Danny returns from the past with a warning for the team, Ethan's true identity is discovered, Emily is torn between Matt and the chance to return to her home, Matt reveals his secret, and Connor makes a terrible discovery.|
Cast and charactersEdit
Main cast and charactersEdit
- Andrew-Lee Potts as Connor Temple
- Hannah Spearritt as Abby Maitland
- Ben Mansfield as Hilary Becker
- Ben Miller as James Lester
- Alexander Siddig as Philip Burton
- Ciarán McMenamin as Matt Anderson
- Ruth Kearney as Jess Parker
- Anton Lesser as Gideon Anderson
- Ruth Bradley as Emily Merchant
- Jonathan Byrne as Ethan Dobrowski/Patrick Quinn
Guest cast and charactersEdit
- Lucy Brown as Jenny Lewis
- Jason Flemyng as Danny Quinn
- James Bradshaw as Duncan
- Patrick Gibson as Steve
- Ciarán Flynn as Darren
- Brian Gleeson as Ray Lennon
- Anne Kent as Moria Lennon
- Dracorex - Episode 4.1
- Raptor - Episode 4.1
- Spinosaurus - Episode 4.1
- Kaprosuchus - Episode 4.2
- Columbian Mammoth - Episode 4.2, Episode 4.4
- Coelurosauravus (Rex) - Episode 4.2, Episode 4.3, Episode 4.4
- Tree Creeper - Episode 4.3
- Therocephalian - Episode 4.4
- Labyrinthodont - Episode 4.5
- Hyaenodon - Episode 4.6
- Terror Bird - Episode 4.7
Primeval Series 4 received generally mixed critical reception; some praised the action and new characters and the cliffhanger ending, but some others felt Series 4 to be bland and lacking in Primeval's original spirit in comparison to the previous three series.
- Due to the amount of time between Series 3 and Series 4, numerous rumours started concerning the plot. Most rumours focused on the supposed return of characters such as Nick Cutter and Helen Cutter. These rumours were fueled further by supposed "insiders" who reported supposed lines from Series 4 scripts. Ultimately these rumours were revealed to be untrue, but people who followed Primeval closely knew that there were never plans to bring back deceased characters, as Haines and Hodges wished to avoid destroying the dramatic impact and feeling of the show.
- There were rumours during broadcast that there would be a creature incursion within the ARC during Episode 4.7 and all the creatures in the Menagerie would become involved in a huge battle, including Sid and Nancy. This proved untrue, and Sid and Nancy were confirmed not to reappear.
- In ITV's description for Episode 4.2, it was said that the Kaprosuchus would attack Abby Maitland in a boat, and the land-based team would be forced to rescue her. This plot is very similar to that of Episode 2.4.
Behind the scenesEdit
Cancellation and revivalEdit
- Main article: Cancellation and Revival of Primeval
In June 2009, it was announced that Primeval had been cancelled. However, by September 2009, it was revealed that two more series' of Primeval would be produced.