|Episodes|| Episode 4.1|
|Broadcast||1 January 2011 - 5 February 2011|
|Preceded by||Series 3|
|Followed by||Series 5|
Series 4 of Primeval is the fourth series of the original British Primeval television programme. Series 4 focuses primarily on the changes to the ARC in Connor and Abby's absence, Connor and Abby's changing relationship, and Matt Anderson's mysterious past and mission.
After a year marooned in the Cretaceous, Connor and Abby finally return to the Present to find that the ARC has greatly changed in their absence, and is now funded by entrepreneur Philip Burton and led by the quiet and mysterious Matt Anderson. Connor and Abby are initially not allowed back on the main team due to a new military code, but soon manage to get back on.
When two time travellers (the Victorian lady Emily Merchant and the murderous Ethan Dobrowski) come to the Present, Matt takes Emily in, and begins to open up to her on his past and who he really is, while hunting Ethan and trying to protect Emily from him. Meanwhile, Connor becomes more and more allied with Philip and the latter's mysterious New Dawn project for the Anomalies, and Connor and Abby's relationship begins to become strained because of this.
Eventually, Danny Quinn returns from the Past as well, and Ethan is revealed to be Danny's long-lost brother. Both Danny and Ethan/Patrick return to the Past, and Emily returns to her time as well; but not before Matt reveals to her that he is from the Future and has been sent back to stop an apocalyptic disaster with the Anomalies in the Present from destroying the planet. Meanwhile, Connor learns of a catastrophic upcoming event with the Anomalies, and ultimately allies with Philip and New Dawn against it.
|24||Mark Everest||Paul Mousley||1 January, 2011|
|25||Mark Everest||Steve Bailie||2 January, 2011|
|26||Cilla Ware||Debbie Oates||8 January, 2011|
|27||Cilla Ware||Paul Gerstenberger||15 January, 2011|
|28||Robert Quinn||Adrian Hodges|
|22 January, 2011|
|29||Robert Quinn||Matthew Parkhill||29 January, 2011|
|30||Mark Everest||Paul Mousley||5 February, 2011|
Cast and charactersEdit
Main cast and charactersEdit
- Andrew-Lee Potts as Connor Temple
- Hannah Spearritt as Abby Maitland
- Ben Mansfield as Hilary Becker
- Ben Miller as James Lester
- Alexander Siddig as Philip Burton
- Ciarán McMenamin as Matt Anderson
- Ruth Kearney as Jess Parker
- Anton Lesser as Gideon Anderson
- Ruth Bradley as Emily Merchant
- Jonathan Byrne as Ethan Dobrowski/Patrick Quinn
Guest cast and charactersEdit
- Lucy Brown as Jenny Lewis
- Jason Flemyng as Danny Quinn
- James Bradshaw as Duncan
- Patrick Gibson as Steve
- Ciarán Flynn as Darren
- Brian Gleeson as Ray Lennon
- Anne Kent as Moria Lennon
- Dracorex - Episode 4.1
- Dromaeosaurus - Episode 4.1
- Spinosaurus - Episode 4.1
- Kaprosuchus - Episode 4.2
- Columbian Mammoth - Episode 4.2, Episode 4.4
- Coelurosauravus (Rex) - Episode 4.2, Episode 4.3, Episode 4.4
- Arboreal Dinosaur - Episode 4.3
- Therocephalian - Episode 4.4
- Labyrinthodont - Episode 4.5
- Hyaenodon - Episode 4.6
- Terror Bird - Episode 4.7
- Due to the amount of time between Series 3 and Series 4, numerous rumours started concerning the plot. Most rumours focused on the supposed return of characters such as Nick Cutter and Helen Cutter. These rumours were fueled further by supposed "insiders" who reported supposed lines from Series 4 scripts. Ultimately these rumours were revealed to be untrue, but people who follow Primeval closely knew that there were never plans to bring back deceased characters, as Haines and Hodges wished to avoid destroying the dramatic impact of the show.
- There were rumours during broadcast that there would be a creature incursion within the ARC during Episode 4.7 and all the creatures in the Menagerie would become involved in a huge battle, including Sid and Nancy. This proved untrue, and Sid and Nancy were confirmed not to reappear.
- In ITV's description for Episode 4.2, it was said that the Kaprosuchus would attack Abby Maitland in a boat, and the land-based team would be forced to rescue her. This plot is very similar to that of Episode 2.4.
Behind the scenesEdit
Cancellation and revivalEdit
- Main article: Cancellation and Revival of Primeval
In June 2009, it was announced that Primeval had been cancelled. However, by September 2009, it was revealed that two more series' of Primeval would be produced.