|Scientific name||Scutosaurus karpinskii|
|Home time period||Late Permian period|
|Creature type||Anapsid reptile|
|Deaths caused||Possibly two mercenaries|
|Appearances|| Episode 1.1|
Scutosaurus was a genus of armoured pareiasaur from the Permian period, loosely related to the turtles.
Scutosaurus were massively built pareiasaurs which were several metres in length, and possessed very large osteoderms on their backs, for which they were named. They were also herbivorous and normally passive animals.
Scutosaurus were social creatures which lived in large herds in the Permian, although some were known to stray and become loners. Scutosaurus were shown to be quite nervous and suspicious around other animals such as humans, especially when said animals were moving quickly or outside of their field of vision. However, instead of attacking, Scutosaurus would instead flee in search of safety. (Episode 1.1)
Scutosaurus was on Connor's Database . A Scutosaurus came through an Anomaly into the Forest of Dean in the present. It was later found by the Home Office team, and was initially nervous and suspicious of them but later calmed down. The team later deliberately frightened the creature off with torches, and the Scutosaurus then fled back through the Anomaly.
Two Scutosaurus were captured by Oliver Leek and kept captive in his Creature Prison as part of his army of creatures. They escaped with the other creatures when Connor Temple's computer virus disabled the bunker's security system, and ran amok in the bunker.
Jenny Lewis, Connor Temple, Abby Maitland and Caroline Steel encountered one Scutosaurus and got it to trample over two of Leek's attacking mercenaries by hitting it in the side with Jenny's high heel. The Scutosaurus presumably returned to the cage room with the other creatures when they heard the siren for food, and were presumably killed there when the creatures were locked in and turned on each other.
- Scutosaurus is incorrectly referred to as a Dinosaur in Primeval, even by people who should know better. However, they were probably just speaking informally.
- Stock footage of a Scutosaurus was used for a Stegosaurus in Series 4 Prequel Webisodes along with Gorgonopsid and Embolotherium.
- This is the first creature that Nick, Connor, Claudia and Stephen encounter.
- In real life, Scutosaurus was actually much smaller than it was in Primeval, at four feet tall and eight feet long.
- Scutosaurus is, in promos, a lighter gray than in the series
|Series 1 Main Creatures|
|Series 2 Main Creatures|