|Scientific name||Unknown; possibly Tylosaurus proriger|
|Home time period||Late Cretaceous period|
|Creature type||Aquatic reptile|
|Deaths caused|| Anthony Barton|
One of its own kind
|Appearances|| Episode 1.1 (picture) |
Episode 2.1 (flashback)
Mosasaurs were serpentine marine reptiles and ferocious predators from the Cretaceous period. They were not dinosaurs, but evolved from semi-aquatic squamates known as the "aigialosaurs", close relatives of modern-day monitor lizards. Mosasaurs breathed air, and were powerful swimmers that were well-adapted to living in the warm, shallow epicontinental seas prevalent during the Late Cretaceous. They grew fifteen - twenty meters long.
Mosasaurs were serpentine marine reptiles and aquatic predators; the species encountered by the Home Office possessed crocodilian-like armour, a long serpentine-like body, and they attacked aquatic animals for food, but would also attack creatures that were above the surface. These Mosasaurs would also attack and eat smaller Mosasaurs as well as other aquatic creatures.Anomaly into a swimming pool at the Crystal Palace Diving Institute in the present. There, the Mosasaur swallowed Anthony Barton whole while he was diving into the pool, killing him. Due to the chlorine in the swimming pool's water, the Mosasaur then returned through the Anomaly before it closed.
The Mosasaur later came through the same Anomaly again into a reservoir in the present when the Anomaly reopened there along a temporal fault line. It regurgitated a bolus of Anthony's undigested remains, then stalked the reservoir. When the Mosasaur came across Connor Temple and Abby Maitland, who had waded out into the reservoir to take water samples, they rushed onto land to a high metal fence. The Mosasaur then leaped partially ashore after the two, but Connor fought it off with an oar. The Mosasaur then retreated back into the reservoir and returned through the Anomaly just before it closed.
After Nick Cutter travelled through the reopened Anomaly looking for his wife Helen, when he tried to return through the Anomaly the Mosasaur attacked him in the oceans, at the Anomaly site. The Mosasaur managed to damage Cutter's scuba gear, and was protected against Cutter's spear gun by its thick skin. As the Mosasaur launched its final attack, another, larger Mosasaur attacked and killed it, then swam off with the smaller Mosasaur's corpse.
The Mosasaur appeared in Nick Cutter's recap of Series 1.
- Mosasaur was the first Cretaceous creature to appear in Primeval, and the first marine reptile to be encountered.
- Mosasaur was the first creature in Primeval to kill a human on-screen.
- Primeval's Mosasaurs lacked a fluke on their tail, which was discovered to be on Mosasaurs in 2011, four years after Mosasaur's appearance in Primeval.
- The Mosasaurs in Primeval were covered in crocodilian-like armour, but in real life, it is believed that Mosasaurs did not have this.
- The Mosasaur in Primeval was shown to be twenty meters in length. However, the biggest Mosasaur specimens in real life were only fifteen meters.
- Mosasaur's head shape in Primeval was incorrect; real Mosasaurs had narrow, crocodile-like snouts, but the Primeval Mosasaur had a shorter, stockier, somewhat allosaur-esque head.
|Series 1 Main Creatures|