- This article's title is a nickname, based upon conjecture or similar. The correct title is unknown.
|Home time period||Carboniferous period|
|Deaths caused||One rat|
Adult Carboniferous Arachnids can be up to over a meter long and wide, and nest in very large groups. They have large pincers in place of fangs, and apparently do not produce webbing or venom. The Arachnids are sensitive to light, and therefore avoid it and prefer dark and damp places.
A large colony of Carboniferous Arachnids came through an Anomaly into the London Underground in the present day, and nested in an abandoned shelter by the Anomaly. Some of the Arachnids would sometimes leave the nest and stalk nearby tunnels in the Underground.
One Arachnid attacked a stopped train and tried to bite a passenger through an open window; but the woman saw the creature and shut the window on it, severing one of its legs. A Carboniferous Arachnid later stalked and eventually attacked a pest controller in the Underground tunnels.
When the Home Office team learned of the Anomaly incursion, a squad of soldiers lead by Tom Ryan was sent into the Carboniferous Arachnids' nest in an abandoned underground shelter. The Arachnids began to descend on the squad from above, biting one soldier on the neck. They almost overwhelmed the team until bright light from a gunshot made the Arachnids return into hiding. Using the Arachnids' aversion to light, Ryan and his men later used torches to force the nest back through the Anomaly.
- The Carboniferous Arachnids are probably based on Mesothelae from Walking With Monsters.
- "Giant Spiders" were listed in Cutter's Matrix. It is unknown whether or not this referred to the Carboniferous Arachnids.
- Prior to the broadcasting of Series 5, Carboniferous Arachnids were speculated to be the swarm that appeared in 5.4. This would be proven false as they were revealed to be Future Beetles.
- These are the first arachnids to appear in Primeval.
- Their pincers and lack of venomous fangs suggest that they may be more closely related to scorpions than to spiders, and only resemble spiders due to convergent evolution.
- Stephen at one point sugested that the Arachnids, despite their appearance, were actually scorpions. One fan has suggested that Stephen may have been referring to Pulmonoscorpius.
|Series 1 Main Creatures|