- This article's title is a nickname, based upon conjecture or similar. The correct title is unknown.
|Future Fungus in its natural form|
|Home time period||Future|
|Deaths caused|| Lloyd|
ARC Soldier (Episode 3.5)
|Appearances|| Episode 3.5|
Episode 4.1 (flashback)
The Future Fungus (also known as Killer Fungus) is a deadly species of fungus from the Future which infects and literally takes over living hosts.
The Future Fungus can infect any Human hosts who come into contact with it by inhaling the Fungus' spores or even at all touching the Fungus. Once a host is infected, the Fungus literally takes it over and completely covers it. Victims of the Future Fungus, upon being overwhelmed, become primal, mindless creatures intent only on spreading the Fungus further.
It is known that high temperatures can cause the Future Fungus' hosts to explode and die, but they also cause the Fungus to reproduce and sporulate massively. The Future Fungus is also vulnerable to cold, and sub-zero temperatures are capable of killing it.
When Lloyd, Sir Richard Bentley's assistant, went through an Anomaly into the Future, he came across a batch of Future Fungus, which infected him by spurting a cloud of spores into his face. Lloyd tried to return through the Anomaly, but it closed on him, though not before he vomited several spores into Sir Richard's flat on the other side. Lloyd was presumably taken over by the Fungus and transformed into a Fungus Creature in the Future shortly afterwards.When Sir Richard returned to his flat to collect the paperwork, he came into contact with the spores Lloyd had left, and rapidly began to succumb to the Fungus. When the ARC team investigated Sir Richard's flat, Connor Temple took a sample of the Future Fungus spores back to the Anomaly Research Centre to analyse. When he added a saline solution to the Fungus to examine it, the Fungus began to rapidly grow in reaction to the solution; forcing Connor to contain the sample.
Sir Richard tried to reach his train at St. Pancreas Station, but as the Future Fungus began to take him over, he retreated from the ARC team into an underground tunnel system. There, Sir Richard was fully taken over by the Fungus. Meanwhile, Mark Baker found Connor's Fungus sample in the ARC lab and touched it. The Fungus almost instantly began to affect him and quickly took him over; forcing Connor and Danny Quinn to seal the Baker creature in the lab.
When Sarah Page drastically raised the temperature in the lab to try and kill the Future Fungus, the Baker creature exploded. Later, when Connor went back into the lab and realised that the Baker creature's remains were massively sporulating from the heat, he had Sarah lower the temperature to freezing. Once the temperature reached -25 degrees, the Fungus in the lab died.
Meanwhile, the ARC team pursued the Bentley creature in the tunnels, and the creature managed to infect a soldier with the Future Fungus. The team later cornered the Bentley creature with flamethrowers, but the creature escaped when the team discovered that using fire on the Bentley creature would increase the Future Fungus' spread. The team managed to lure the Bentley creature back to the surface and trapped it in a security van.
Danny and Jenny then drove the Bentley creature back to the ARC, but it was able to break out of the van and escape into the building. It travelled through the ARC's ventilation system into the operations room, where the temperature had been lowered to freezing. The Bentley creature then attacked Jenny in the operations room, and Jenny tried to defend herself with CO2 from a fire extinguisher. However, the fire extinguisher eventually ran out and Jenny began to freeze to death.The Bentley creature then infected Jenny with the Future Fungus before Danny fought and distracted the Bentley creature, until the freezing temperatures killed the Fungus and destroyed the creature. As Jenny was infected with the Future Fungus, Connor had the team wait before taking her out, and the cold eventually killed the Fungus on Jenny.
- In Episode 4.2, an archive shot of Sir Richard Bentley taken over by the Future Fungus was used for a picture of a creature on Area51creatures.com. Due to this, some fans believe that canonically, the creature seen on the website may have been a human at Area 51 infected with Future Fungus that came through an Anomaly.
- Although it's barely noticeable, what looks like human eyes can still be seen on the Fungus Creatures.
- There are rumours that the Future Fungus' home time period is 500 million years in the Future, and that the Fungus had evolved to thrive in heat due to Sun expansion warming the Earth.
- The concept of fungus taking over a person seems to be based on the Japanese cult film Matango.
- This is the first non-animal threat that has come through an anomaly (discounting the Precambrian atmosphere in Episode 2.2).
- This is the second creature that uses Humans as hosts. The first was the Parasite in Episode 1.4.
- The concept of the Future Fungus is similar to the Flood from Bungie's Halo video-game series. The Flood are parasites that convert hosts into fungus-looking creatures.
- The Future Fungus is mentioned in Fire and Water, which says that the Fungus incursion was days before.
- The Future Fungus is similar to, and theorised by fans to have possibly evolved from, the cordyceps fungus.
- Along with the Ankylosaurus, this is one of the few creatures to be fully resistant to gunfire.
- The Cordyceps fungus from the 2013 video game The Last of Us is highly similar to the Future Fungus in Primeval.