- This article's title is a nickname, based upon conjecture or similar. The correct title is unknown.
- "Stocky, well muscled, maybe a type of primate,huge sharp claws, the ability to camouflage, as if disappearing into its environment."
- ―Abby's Sketchbook[src]
Camouflage Beasts are humanoid creatures from the Future. they resemble Aye Ayes from Madagascar, suggesting it could have evolved from them.
Biology and Origin
Unlike other future creatures, it has never been said what creatures the Camouflage Beast evolved from, it has traits of various species. As a future creature, this beast is completely fictional. It is clearly a derived form of primate and its design is heavily based on the Madagascan aye-aye. So strange looking is this animal that native mythology holds it to be a symbol of death. The camouflage abilities that it is given do not exist in mammals (so far) but is similar to the skin colour control that cuttlefish exhibit. In its sketchbooks page of Primeval Evolved, an image of one was seen alongside an image of a chimp. Therefore, it could have evolved from chimps or other modern day apes.
The camobeast is shown to be eating candy bars and possibly dead humans so it is probably an omnivore. It is unknown if the Camobeast seen in Primeval is fully grown, since it is at least 14 years old, it could have been an adolescent when it came through the anomaly. The creature may speak some kind of language, as it makes a kind of hissing, whispering noise when it is alone.
The hissing and whispering sounds made by the beast suggests it could either be a descendant of Humanity, or on the evolutionary road to becoming a species with the same level of intelligence as Humanity. It could be possible that it evolved from rats or mice as Helen Cutter says the future belongs to rats and bats. It could also be a type of future feline, as it bears a resemblance to furless cats.
The camobeast's world is unseen although it may live in a forest location due to its agility and camouflage reflex.
In 1995, an anomaly opened up in a house and a Camouflage Beast came through. It attacked three kids who had broken into the house. While one of them, Patrick Quinn, escaped through the anomaly into the home of the Camobeasts, another, Ryan Mason escaped the house. After this, when the anomaly closed, the Camo Beast remained hiding in the house for fourteen years, using its ability to camouflage itself to evade capture. This led to the rumor that the house was haunted.
When the anomaly reopens, the creature seems to return to the future through it, but then jumps out again and attempts to maul the team. It is shot multiple times by Danny Quinn, then falls back into the anomaly. It is unknown if it survived, though it is highly doubtful that such a small creature would be able to survive so many gunshot wounds. (Episode 3.2)
After Patrick escaped through the anomaly into the future, he spent an unspecified amount of time in the home of Camobeasts. He had to kill many of them to survive, and did it so often that he eventually began to enjoy killing. What he was forced to do when attacked by the beasts made him regard Humans as animals like them and he felt it was right to kill people too. (Episode 4.7)
- This is the first creature to kill a child. A Therocephalian later kills Beth and it becomes the second creature and the first prehistoric creature to do so.
- This is the first creature that Danny and Patrick encounter.
- This creature emerged through an anomaly before the ARC team was formed.
- This is the fifth creature from the future the team has encountered.
- This creature has the largest claws in comparison to its body size than any other creature.
- The Camouflage Beast is the only creature incursion during the Cutter era that Cutter does not encounter.
- This creature is not the first to use camouflage ability; the Future Predator can seemingly stay invisible.However the difference is, the Camouflage Beast chemically changes its skin color to match its surrounding objects while the Future Predator is just extremely good at hiding. The Predator probably evolved this in order to cathch its prey better. Even though Helen says it can perfectly camouflage itself on any enviromnent she probably meant camouflage as in hidden rather than changing colours to blend in.